Our Healthy Heating Standard
The vast majority of boilers underperform.
We have developed the UK's first higher installation standard to ensure new boilers run efficiently and reach old age.
99% of installers have not been trained to setup condensing boilers to run at their higher efficiencies.
This leads to shorter lifespans and reduced fuel savings that cost households £1000s.
We have developed the Healthy Heating Standard to deliver properly designed and correctly setup boiler installations.
When our Elite Installers fit to our higher standard, they fit more efficient, longer lasting heating systems.
The health of our heating systems has deteriorated following 15 years of design and installation practices that have not been updated for modern boilers. In the vast majority of UK homes we find an oversized boiler, incorrect set up and ineffective controls, including many smart controls.
So little is understood about the damage this causes that we have come to believe a boiler should be replaced as early as 7 years, when it should last 22 years. As a result we have one of the highest replacement boiler rates in Europe.
Whilst a high turnover of boilers is good for boilers sales, it is not good for consumers. As the indicative timelines below demonstrate, premature replacement and lower efficiencies cost households thousands of pounds compared with correctly specified and setup heating systems.
When choosing a new boiler we naturally fixate on its efficiency, but few of us appreciate that a new boiler is not A-rated out-of-the-box. Even 'the best' boiler is only as good as the installer that fits it. For modern boilers to run at their higher efficiency the whole system needs to be set up correctly, but 99% of installers have not had the training needed to do this.
The good news is that pitfalls of poor installations can be avoided with the right knowledge and the right installer, but it is a minefield. So we have developed the UK’s first higher design and installation standard – the Healthy Heating Standard – to deliver optimum systems for your budget.
With the help of our Expert Panel, we have shortlisted the best boilers, specified the best installations methods and handpicked the best installers to overcome the industry failings the undermine 99% of new boiler installations and cost consumers £1,000s. You can access our expertise via our pioneering, hand-holding Hero Support service.
The hidden problems in domestic heating
- The majority of installers do not know the difference between a high-tech and a low-tech boiler. Most rely on brand strength and familiarity to ‘sell’ their preferred boiler models. Consumers get a poor deal when they unwittingly end up with an expensive low-tech boiler.
- Boilers are forced to operate on a less efficient setting than they were designed for when paired with a basic heating control that does not speak the same language. This is the case for the majority of controls, including many smart controls, because basic controls have not been banned under building regulations.
- The majority of boilers are oversized for the home and are not adjusted to accurately meet the heat requirements of the property.
- Many boilers age prematurely due to incorrect boiler and thermostat selection and incorrect system set up.
- Online fast track one-size-fits-all boiler installations ignore the individual requirements of your home and use incompatible products.
We put it right with our Healthy Heating Standard
- We have done the research to find the best boilers based on a thorough technical assessment and ignoring brand authority. Only high-tech boilers, which have been impartially assessed by our Expert Panel, make it onto our shortlist of boilers. The good news is, there are excellent boilers for every budget.
- We only use heating controls that we know are 100% compatible and will operate our shortlisted boilers on their most efficient setting.
- We pick the correct size boiler for your home and configure it to make sure it will operate efficiently all year around.
- Our boiler packages are made up of perfectly matched products and fitted by the top 1% of gas engineers in the industry who understand correct system design.
- Our handpicked network of the UK’s top heating engineers fully understand system design and provide a bespoke solution